Skip to main content


Broker FAQs

Answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about Victor's Builders Risk program.

Operational FAQs

How do I get a quote from Victor?

All new business submissions should be submitted through our online portal, .

  • Check out our V² Playbook for guidance on how to get a quote, and for information on registration, billing, FAQs, support and more.

See it in action! Watch our series of recorded V² demos.

  • V² demo 
  • V² demo (application for coastal risks)
  • V² demo (for when your submission is referred to underwriting for further review)

Who should I contact if I have questions during the underwriting process?

Please send all underwriting questions to Alternatively, you can contact our underwriting team by dialling (800) 944-7472.

How do I pay?

Visit Make a Payment to review instructions for submitting payments for agency billed and direct billed policies. 

If I select direct bill, when will the invoice be sent to the insured?

The invoice is emailed to the named insured the day after the policy is issued. Payment in full is due ten days after the effective date.

Can you write a builders risk policy from a personal lines unit?

Yes, the policy can be written in the builder's name or owner's name. In addition, a billing notice is included in the policy package email.

What is the claims reporting process?

In the event of a claim, policyholders should contact Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance:

By 24-hour toll free telephone number: 855-453-9675
By fax: 617-507-8259
By mail: Log on to for mailing address

Coverage FAQs

What projects are eligible under the Victor protection program?

Residential construction, commercial construction (including office buildings, warehouses, apartments, municipal buildings, restaurants, shopping centers), residential/commercial remodeling, installation floaters. 

What is the maximum limit of coverage available?

Our maximum limit for frame and joisted-masonry construction is $8M. Our maximum limit for non-combustible, masonry non-combustible and fire resistive construction is $15M.

What are Victor's coastal guidelines?

We will not cover structures within 1000 feet of a coastline e.g. Atlantic Ocean or Gulf of Mexico. Please email for more information. 

Does Victor write remodeling and renovation projects?

Yes, we have the ability to write residential and commercial remodeling/renovation projects with or without existing building coverage. We can also consider historical building renovations.

What is Victor's appetite for construction projects other than ground-up new construction?

We provide remodeling/renovation coverage for tenant build out projects, and wel also provide coverage for existing structures that are being remodeled and renovated. 

Does Victor provide General Liability coverage for a property?

Our program is monoline builders risk only. Builders Risk is a property inland marine line that does not cover general liability exposures. 

Does Victor offer flood and earthquake coverage?

Yes, flood and earthquake coverage is available by endorsement.

Will Victor cover projects that have already started?

Yes, if a project is up to 30% complete, applications submitted into our online portal, V², will flow through and will not generate an underwriting referral. We will contact you to ask additional questions for any projects that are over 30% complete. However, it's important to emphasize that we will not provide coverage for any projects that have been active for 180+ days.

If a construction project is not completed within 12 months, will Victor renew the policy?

We can extend policies up to a maximum term of 24 months e.g. if your client has a 12 month policy and requires an extension, we can extend from 1 month up to 12 months.

Does Victor's form include permission to occupy?

Yes, for single-family, residential properties, we provide up to 90 days occupancy coverage on the basis that occupants are not charged rent by an owner. For commercial properties, depending on how much of a building is going to be occupied, we would need to add a permission to occupy endorsement. Please contact us if you require more than 90 days of occupancy coverage.

Does Victor increase the limit of coverage if there is an increase in project expenses?

Insurance Agents, upon becoming aware of an increase in project costs during the course of construction, should notify us in order for a policy to be endorsed. If desired, a change order endorsement can be added at policy inception in increments of 10%, 20% or 30%, which would address some of the potential increase in value.

Can Victor insure both the builder and the homeowner?

Yes, you just need to add one of the parties as an additional insured on the policy to ensure both of their interests are protected. So if your insured is the builder, make sure you add the homeowner as an additional insured.

Does Victor have rates for protection classes 8, 9 and 10?

Yes, however, based on the value of the property, the quote may require underwriter review. Each quote will be reviewed and underwritten based on its own characteristics.

Why should we choose Victor?

  • Victor's program automatically includes 20 coverages not usually offered in a standard builders risk policy that will ensure your client receives best-in-class coverage.
  • Ease of doing business with our online portal, V², enabling you to quote, bind and issue policies in minutes. 
  • Additionally, the Victor team has a combined 90 years' experience underwriting builders risk.

To learn more, email or connect with your business development contact

Save time and money with V²

If you’re an agent or broker, see how our online quoting platform can streamline your work and remove the stress from the entire quoting process.